Do you subscribe? Get the BCLR Blog delivered to your Inbox. Subscribe here.
Wednesday, May 5, 2010
God's Word is the Source of:
1. Truth :: God's Word is truth. All of us know what it is like to live in a world in which people are constantly lying to us. We all know what it is like to be hurt or mislead by lies. But can you imagine living in a world in which there was no truth? That would be terrible! You could not know anything for certain. You could not know if there was a heaven or life after death or God. We can know these things only because God has revealed them to us in His inspired Word. Jesus said in John 8:31-32, "If you abide in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." God's Word is truth and leads us out of the darkness of error to the light of truth.
2. Eternal and Abundant Life :: Because God's Word is the truth that sets us free, it naturally follows that it also gives us life. Truth leads to freedom and life and error leads to death. We gain eternal life when we exercise faith in Christ, and Romans 10:17 tells us that that faith, "comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ." Thus, the Bible has the power to give life and salvation to those who receive the gospel by faith. God's Word is life changing truth. Certainly there are other truths in science and mathematics as well, but only the Bible contains truths that change lives.
For example, if you came to me and said, "Tim, I am afraid to die because I don't know what lies beyond this life. Can you tell me the truth?" If I responded, "The Declaration of Independence was signed in 1776," or, "2 x 2 = 4," I would be telling the truth. But these truths are unable to answer the most important questions in the minds of men. Only the Bible can give the truth concerning life after death, and that is, God gives eternal life to those who receive Jesus Christ by faith.
Do you want to have eternal and abundant life? Know God's Word.
3. Guidance :: Do you ever have to make hard decisions and don't know which way to go? God's Word gives us direction and tells us the will of God for our lives. Psalm 119:105 states, "Thy word is a lamp to my feet, and a light to my path." God's Word is like a light that guides us into the right decisions. Romans 12:2 says that we should be transformed by renewing our minds so that "you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect." Do you want to know God's will for your life? Read His Word.
4. Blessing :: Jesus said in Luke 11:28, "Blessed are those who hear the word of God, and observe it." Jesus said that if we know God's Word and obey it, our lives will be blessed and full of joy and happiness. In John 15:10-11 He said, "If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father's commandments, and abide in His love. These things I have spoken to you, that My joy my be in you, and that your joy may be made full." When we know God's word and obey it we have true joy. Do you want to be blessed by God? Know His Word.
5. Growth :: God's word not only has the power to save us from sin, but it also is the tool which God uses to transform us into the likeness of Jesus Christ. John 17:17 says, "Sanctify them in the truth; Thy word is truth." As we come to better know God's Word, we grow in maturity in our faith. 1 Peter 2:3 states, "like newborn babes, long for the pure milk of the word, that by it you may grow in respect to salvation."
Illustration: God's Word Necessary For Growth
When someone comes to me and tells me that they feel "distant" from God and do not seem to be bearing "fruit" in their life for God, one of the questions I usually ask of them is, "Are you spending time in God's Word?" You see, we need a healthy intake of God's Word in order to grow in our Christian life. Imagine someone coming to you and saying that they have lacked energy lately and just haven't felt very well for the past several weeks. Imagine that you ask them if they have been eating food regularly and they say, "I haven't really gotten around to eating!" No wonder they feel terrible! No wonder they aren't healthy! Matthew 4:4 states, "Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God." If you are not growing in Christ, you probably aren't spending regular time in His Word. Do you want to grow in Christ? Know God's Word.
6. Success in God's Eyes :: In Joshua 1:8, God told Joshua, "This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it; for then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have success." Do you want to succeed in God's eyes? Know God's Word.
7. Power over Sin :: Psalm 119:11 says, "Thy word I have treasured in my heart, That I may not sin against Thee." 2 Peter 1:3-4 states, "His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence. For by these He has granted to us His precious promises, in order that by them you might become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world by lust." Want to escape sin and have victory over it? Know God's Word.
8. Victory over Satan and Temptation :: Ephesians 6:17 tells us that part of our armor in which we can defeat the attacks of Satan is, "The sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God." When tempted three times by Satan, our Lord used the Word of God to defeat him (Matthew 4).
9. Comfort and Assurance :: God's Word gives us great comfort in times of suffering and trial. Think of these beautiful words, "nothing can separate us from the love of Christ." (Romans 8:39) Assurance of eternal life is a blessing indeed. The Puritans called it “having heaven on earth.”
10. Hope :: Have you ever been discouraged and need someone to cheer you up? God's Word gives us hope. Hebrews 6:13-18 tells us that God's promises gives us hope and encouragement.
11. Correction :: God's Word warns us of sin (Ps. 19:11), convicts us when we sin (Heb. 4:12), and points us back to the right paths. This doesn't sound like a benefit at first, but when you consider that those who are on the wrong road end up in hell, God's correction is surely for our good.
12. Wisdom :: Psalm 19:7 says, "The testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple. In Psalm 119:99 it says, "I have more insight than all my teachers, For Thy testimonies are my meditation."